To What?

Essentially, 5 Songs To is a collection of short playlists which consist of songs/tracks that share a quality that makes them perfect for listening to in a certain situation; whether that be while scuba diving, making a cocktail, breaking up, or watching an electrical storm. When it comes down to it, this is a blog through which I can hopefully introduce you to music that you might not know about or otherwise listen to. It is also a blog where I can take suggestions and recommendations from you - so feel free to comment! Despite the ease with which music can be downloaded illegally today, if there are songs you find you enjoy, please purchase them from their respective artists. Cheers to my brother, Brad, for the background artwork.

Disclaimer:
There will be minimal rap, hip-hop or modern pop music covered in this blog, due to conflict with personal taste

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

...Watch the Rain To (Part A)

1) Bleecker Street – Simon and Garfunkel
2) Homesick – Kings of Convenience
3) Early Mornin’ Rain – Peter, Paul and Mary
4) Famous Blue Raincoat – Leonard Cohen
5) If You’re Feeling Sinister – Belle and Sebastian

It has been raining here. About five days ago I wasn’t able to sleep because it was too hot, and now the mercury has dropped a few cm, and I find that I’m pulling the doona down from the top shelf (where I had put it away a couple of weeks back). Typical July weather has begun – cool days and nights, punctuated by dogged, methodical rain. I love this weather, and I love sitting in my loungeroom, where more than half the walls are big glass windows, and look out over the valley, and clouds drift occasionally through the gum trees, and I can curl up under a blanket with a mug of chai and a good book, with a playlist of songs like this on the iPod. I’ve decided to make multiple playlists for this scenario; I really have a good selection of songs for this mood and I cannot possibly cull it down to five. 

Simon and Garfunkel would definitely be my favourite musical artist of all time. You know that band that you have listened to since you were 10, and regardless how much your music taste has fluctuated through the years, you still can come back and enjoy them just as much as that first time you heard them? Well Simon and Garfunkel are that band for me. Kings of Convenience seem to be an attempt at reproducing the Simon and Garfunkel sound – the mellow, intricate finger-picking, with the tight harmonies created by just two pairs of vocal chords. They don’t quite manage to get the melodies just right, in my opinion, but Homesick is certainly a noble effort, and I have grown to love this song. Peter, Paul and Mary were a folk "supergroup" that become popular in the 60's, and covered a lot of classics - including this number. I find it hard to describe Leonard Cohen. He’s a poet first, and a songwriter second, which makes the songs he writes that much better. Belle and Sebastian are a fantastic band from Scotland who sound like something you feel you’ve heard maybe once before, coming from window a couple of stories above your own, while you were meant to be asleep. Anyway, music is what you make of it for yourself, so take a listen, and build your own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment